Speaking at the C&IT Innovation In Events conference, Conway listed five top tips for trimming costs during the downturn.
1. Minimise on signage: Use vinyl lettering on zap stands that can be reused at events across the year
2. Stick to your CSR policy: Engage with the local community by supporting your local artists and musicians. Says Conway: "it can provide a more unusual aspect to your event, plus it also adds a community dimension."
3. Consider your filming needs: Tesco recently spent a day filming the development of a football pavilion nearby, which enabled the retailer to avoid cast and location costs.
4. Look at your seating costs: Consider changing your seating plans from cabaret to theatre to avoid larger room hire costs
5. Cut out the juice: Conway highlighted a recent conference in Jersey where the retailer saved approximately £3,000 by serving tea, coffee and water and ditching the orange juice. "When we asked our delegates for feedback, nobody commented on the choice of beverages."