Seventeen Events managing director Andrew Williams' session, ‘Driving CSR in a recession', at the C&IT Agency Forum today provided delegates with event solutions that reduce costs and enhance sustainability.
Williams' recommendations include:
- Use local, seasonal food rather than expensive organic products
- Run the incentive element of a conference in the local area such as the nearby countryside
- Provide take-home material on a USB stick rather than paper for groups of more than 50
- It is probably more efficient to provide take-home material in the form of recycled paper for groups smaller than 50 delegates
- Use a solar operator to power events. They come pre-charged with 14 hours-worth of power
"We are running a festival in September to raise money for charitable projects in Zimbabwe and we could use a biodiesel generator, which would be good in a green sense," he said. "But it is expensive and that would effectively strip away money for the projects in Zimbabwe so for this event I am going to use the cheapest method of power generation. The green options are not always the best option."