Hughes today gave C&IT Agency Forum delegates guidance on best practice in pitching to the COI and things to avoid, which are outlined below.
Components of a good pitch to COI
- Fresh thinking
- Challenging the brief prior to the pitch
- Have your account team present the pitch
- Ensure your pitch team interacts well
How not to pitch to the COI
- Having the managing director or chief executive - with whom the COI will never work with directly - deliver the pitch
- Presenting too many company credentials
- Rehashing the original brief
- Using the "same old tactics"
Hughes said that "insightful understanding of the audience" was of utmost importance to agencies that were pitching to the COI.
The COI is mid-way through a creating its new agency roster, which has attracted tenders from about 300 agencies, which have generated 1,783 separate applications for the categories of work within the framework.
COI paid external agencies £30m to organise events in the past year.