Leeds Metropolitan University awarded Adding Value partner Stonier the honorary doctorate in education this week.
A statement from Leeds Metropolitan said that Stonier was "one of the first events industrialists to support the notion of events education" and that he served as a senior external examiner for the BA (Hons) events management degree course at the university for six years.
Stonier said that the events landscape had dramatically changed in the past 25 years and the introduction of legislation including health and safety, audiences becoming increasingly discerning, and international competition were among the trends that made it important for events-specific education.
"Having transparent events qualifications will give rise to more professionalism and less of the enthusiastic amateur operating out of their front lounge," said Stonier.
- Began career in Royal Navy as a Sub Lieutenant
- 2000 - Played key role in merger of Motivforce and Purchasepoint
- 2005 - becomes chairman of Euro RSCG Skybridge
- December 2005 - resigns from chairman post at Skybridge
- March 2006 - launches Adding Value