CWT snaps up Spanish agency Viajes Lepanto

SPAIN - The global business travel agency buys MICE agency Viajes Lepanto for an undisclosed sum

The deal, which is the latest in a string of European and US acquisitions, will strengthen CWT Spain's position in the Spanish meetings market and enhance its business travel offering.

The deal also brings eight new business premises into its network, giving CWT a total of 170 in Spain. Viajes Lepanto, which has offices in Madrid, Barcelona and Valencia has an annual sales volume of around EUR16m.

Of that total figure, 62% is attributed to business travel and the remaining 38% to meetings and events.

Javier Cabello, general manager of Viajes Lepanto, will continue in his role and report into Marino Faccini, CWT executive vice-president of Spain, the Mediterranean and Latin America.

Earlier this year CWT acquired Viajes Mapfre, the in-house agency of Mapfre Group, a Spanish insurance company. Over the past 12 months it has also purchased Sweden's Ark Travel and US-based Piedmont Travel and Traveltime Services.

Faccini said: "The acquisition of Viajes Lepanto reflects the importance of strategic acquisitions in our global development plan. Our commitment to maintaining the service Viajes Lepanto clients have always known will benefit our collective stakeholders."

CWT Spain has more than 1,000 employees across the country. Last year the company's total sales volume including business travel, MICE, leisure travel and inbound services was around EUR58m.

Have you registered with us yet?

Register now to enjoy more articles
and free email bulletins.

Register now
Already registered?
Sign in
Businesses routinely miss out on sales leads at trade events, research reveals

Businesses routinely miss out on sales leads at trade events, research reveals

Generic sales pitches, misspelt names and 'hard-sell' techniques are leading to lost revenue and business opportunities.

Most popular European cities for MICE bookings revealed

Most popular European cities for MICE bookings revealed

Tech company Aventri ranks cities' popularity for meetings and events based on bookings made through its venue sourcing platform.

'My MD gives me additional roles to help me learn, and experiences to develop my skills'

'My MD gives me additional roles to help me learn, and experiences to develop my skills'

A-List 2019: Anna Clarke is senior account executive at Ex Events.

Reinventing networking with 'brain dates' for attendees

Reinventing networking with 'brain dates' for attendees

Fundamental changes are needed to reorganise events around face-to-face connections rather than content, says agency director.

Live Union welcomes three new faces

Live Union welcomes three new faces

Marketing director, business development director and production manager all join the London-based team

No one should be expected to work for free and the same goes for speakers

No one should be expected to work for free and the same goes for speakers

It's unethical to expect speaking gigs to be unpaid, says Nick Gold, MD of Speakers Corner.

'I don't think I would have had the same opportunity and support in a bigger company'

'I don't think I would have had the same opportunity and support in a bigger company'

A-List 2019: Olivia Chilton, senior account executive at Clear Partners.

In pictures: Meet Dublin in London cruise

In pictures: Meet Dublin in London cruise

The Dublin Convention Bureau hosted its 10th anniversary 'Meet Dublin in London' on the Thames.

Kimpton Blythswood Square Hotel opens in Glasgow

Kimpton Blythswood Square Hotel opens in Glasgow

Luxury hotel has 113 rooms, a Bo & Birdy restaurant and bar and private roof garden with views of the city.

'I'm fortunate to work on events that you sometimes have to pinch yourself at'

'I'm fortunate to work on events that you sometimes have to pinch yourself at'

A-List 2019: Michael Charles, creative director, Julia Charles Event Management.

LATEST JOBS