Global meetings and events agency BCD Meetings & Events (BCD M&E) has unveiled its latest thought leadership report, The Green White Paper, revealing how to make progress in sustainability programmes.
BCD Travel’s seven steps to sustainability
- Based on its own experiences, BCD M&E’s sister company BCD Travel recommends seven steps to getting any sustainability programme off-the-ground:
- Get executive buy-in. Ensure company leaders incorporate social responsibility into global business strategy.
- Create a cross-functional sustainability leadership team. To maintain ongoing support, assemble an executive sustainability committee made up of leaders from across the organisation.
- Engage and educate employees. Employee participation in sustainability doesn’t happen automatically. Use educational programmes to win support.
- Be global and local. It’s essential to have employees in each country committed to the success of the global programme.
- Tap into industry best practices. For companies just getting started, begin with the priorities that third-party frameworks, such as ISO 20121, focus on in their assessments.
- Be realistic. It takes time and e ort to implement a global sustainability programme. Plan a phased approach from the start.
- Don’t reinvent the wheel. Emulate companies that demonstrate sustainability success. The United Nations Global Sustainability Goals and United Nations Global Compact website.information on thousands of businesses, including BCD Travel, who are committed to the world’s largest sustainability initiative.
The report draws on quantitative and qualitative research from more than 350 corporate and intermediary event professionals.
For more features and breaking news sign up to C&IT Magazine's daily Newstracker here.
Have you registered with us yet?
Register now to enjoy more articles
and free email bulletins.